21 Jun 2014

21/6/14

What a week...
Plan was to be admitted into hospital on the 15th and be discharged on the 20th! That has far from what has happened. I was admitted on the Sunday which was all to plan, first impressions were positive, the staff seemed so friendly and they let me drop my luggage into my room early. I had got talking to a lad on a facebook forum named Codey who was in hospital at the time so I came in to meet him. 

At 6pm I came back to the reception to start the admission process which was just a few basic health questions. 

Morning came and nerves were as expected through the roof, I was under the impression that Mr Christopher was doing the operation as it was him I met in the clinic initially, but I was told on the Sunday night that it would be Mr Ralph, I requested to meet him prior to the surgery and was told that the man I was talking to was in fact the surgeon and that Mr Ralph was in Saudi Arabia! So the surgeon was to be Mr Garaffa. So the time came to go down into surgery which felt like the longest walk ever. Before I know it, I'm asleep...... 
So during this time a full hysterectomy was taking place and stage one of phalloplasty taken from the abdomen.
When I woke up I expected to be back on the ward in my room to sleep off the grogginess, this is where I was wrong. I obviously don't remember much in between this time but I woke up in a high dependency unit which is basically like intensive care. This was due to major internal bleeding, which meant one thing, emergency surgery Tuesday morning. They went in via the original incision which means there won't be another scar which is always a good thing. 
I came back onto a normal ward on (I think) it was Wednesday could have even been Thursday. They have been trying to get me more mobile day by day but the pain is quite bad. I had taken too many painkillers though and I kept hallucinating and having nightmares throughout the night so I am now more concious about how much I am taking to stop the pain. At times it is more discomfort due to having so many tubes etc coming out of me. I currently have a catheter and just one drain on my left hand side, but I originally had an extra drain on the right and some tube type thing in my neck which was removed today - once out it was about the size of a straw! Was awful. 

I felt bad for mum though, which is natural. We had originally sorted a hotel for the Sunday and Monday night expecting me to be in recovery Tuesday and be ok without her here, so we had also pre booked a train ticket back for her. This again, wasn't to be so we had to sort out a new ticket and some where for her to stay Tuesday night. Luckily the people in the hospital have been really nice and gave her a spare bed for the night. 

So the days have been spent trying not to be in pain and dreading the physio's face! As soon as I see them I automatically feel pain! Haha.


Today has been by far my best day so far which is why this entry may sound cheery, but that does not mean that I am happy... I am suffering quite badly from post surgery depression. Not being able to do the little things myself is really annoying, not being able to be comfortable or even take the lid off of a bottle of water is frustrating. 
Had a nice surprise today though, as my mum and Soph made the journey down to London to see me. This has perked me up a lot as being alone in a room all day is not exactly my idea of fun.


I can't wait for these drains to be out, albeit I am petrified as the other killed when they took it out!!! And then all being well, should be going home on Tuesday, but we shall see.
Probably loads I have missed but spending the past near on week drugged up doesn't help my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment